Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Big Fat American Hangover

Me but in a bed.
Close enough
Sorry I've been gone, had to go back to Bordeaux, I have a rough life. Anyway, the day before I left was spent with Andrew cooking our American feast. Of course we couldn't find all of the right ingredients out here so everything was adjusted and the BBQ wasn't much of a BBQ so poor Andrew had to spend about an hour getting the shit started while I busted my ass in the kitchen. Again, the stereotypical man and woman duties were set into place. Anyway, after far too many hours of cooking and the surprise that we were cooking for 11, instead of less like we thought, our meal turned out fabulous. How could it not though...? I was the one in the kitchen. For the first course I made some west coast style crab cakes and I also candied some bacon (it's not American without bacon). Then Andrew brought out his famous coleslaw and after that I got my roasted garlic mashed potatoes with Andrew's BBQ chicken and homemade BBQ sauce. Lastly, was of course, an American apple pie for dessert. The Irish couple also brought a "cheesecake" which was really some sort of awesome dessert with LOTS of Baileys in it. Now after cooking all day and preparing everything, you bet we were ready for some hardcore drinking. Every time I looked away, I came back to a full glass of wine. I'm no waster, so I just kept drinking and then we managed to find bourbon at the store so we busted that out at the end. Andrew and I finished whatever everyone couldn't, which was a very bad decision on my part. As I am about to pass out in my "cheesecake," I keep getting nudged to wake up to either drink more wine or more bourbon. And we got treated like monkeys at the end and were expected to show some sort of talent. The Chinese girl pulled out some typical awesome piano skills and Andrew was able to play along a little bit. This left me with zero entertainment skills..."Luckily," I know Philippe's love for Michael Jackson, so I threw that on and attempted the moon walk, pulled Philippe up with me, managed to make even him blush, so I sat my ass back done and went back to drinking. I didn't think it was possible to make Philippe blush, but I can do anything and so I did. I know it's rude and I was the chef and all but I definitely snuck off to be around 1am and passed out with shoes and everything on. It wasn't until about middle of the night that I realized I was highly uncomfortable and should take off my chucks and jeans and get something more suitable for sleeping on. That day I was also informed that I could go to Bordeaux for a few days and hadn't packed yet and didn't know what time I had to leave. Waking up was awesome, I had the spins, stabbing pains through my stomach and just felt like pure shit. I made it downstairs by 10am and with Philippe and Brigitte still asleep, I headed right back up to bed. Then, I was woken up around 11 and told I had an hour, which seems like a lot, but not when you want to hurl the entire time. I managed to throw a bunch of crap together and head off to the train. Oy vey! It was definitely a rough night and rough morning, but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment