Monday, April 4, 2011

Bordeaux Part Deux

Arcachon
This trip to Bordeaux involved much more relaxing and much less walking. I am uploading some awesome beach and dune pictures as I type! I have never been out to gigantic dunes like the ones we went to on the west coast here. The climb was just about straight up and with how much you sunk each step, it was like you climbed this thing at least twice. I don't think anything has ever exhausted me so much and so fast. And then it's so easy to go down hill, you just slide, but then at the bottom you realize that you have to go right back up it to get back, ugh. The views were awesome though and worth all of the hiking. We didn't stay too long since it was getting a bit windy, so we stopped by a little seaside town called Arcachon. It was just as beautiful as this picture looks. It is definitely a rich little area and there were lots of old people with fancy little dogs. There were younger people too and lots of boats out, but there were for sure lots of retirees hanging around. I was absolutely freezing as it got later and was not prepared with the correct clothes since it was way hotter the day before, stupid me. The ice cream looked way too good though and the guy selling it even spoke English so I HAD to get some. I was a complete ice cube by the time I was done but still happy with my choice. When we got back to Bordeaux everyone came back over to Jean's (where I was staying) and played Mario Kart until like 4am. I love me some Mario Kart but these guys were way too out of control about it. I think I chose to pass out around 1am and let them continue screaming in French while I heard Mario screaming in English a bit quieter in the background. Always a good way to fall asleep. The day before though was way warmer and most of the day was spent on the water in Bordeaux sipping wine with a fabulous gay man that I have invited to come live with me whenever he wants! If you see my pictures, he will be the one with the big captain hat and his apartment is the one we are at with the amazing views of the city. He is crazy and I love him and he made for a very entertaining visit. I will be sure to see him again soon! Other than that, my visit involved more wandering, eating and visiting with people. I haven't been able to practice my French too much though and every French person that meets me wants to try out their English. I am sucking so bad at learning French! I have my key phrases and then I get fast responses in French and have to apologize for being American and ask if they speak English, fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment