Sunday, June 19, 2011

Getting Caught Up

I have been terribly lazy about blogging lately, but for good reasons. First, Brittany, Zane and I had a little adventure to the south coast. We stopped in Avignon first to see Pont Du Gard, visit the city and we found an awesome guy to couchsurf with. Next, we took a short train ride to Arles to see some more Roman ruins and just visit. We found a pretty cheap hostel to stay in but it was for sure low budget. I was all for it of course and did most of the convincing that we didn't need anything nicer. We had a fabulous view of a Chinese restaurant and after Zane and I stared at all the people and watched all of the delicious food come out, we quickly arrived at the Chinese restaurant. Come morning, we headed off to Cassis, which was my favorite by far. It's on the water and not too big of a city so it's not terribly touristy. I could tell that there were less tourists when we arrived at the beach and I was greeted by topless old ladies with boobs to their knees. These people were definitely regulars since their skin was like jerky. Besides seeing too much of too many people, the city was beautiful and the gelato was fabulous. We had trouble finding somewhere to stay and ended up spending too much to stay at a Best Western where we had to sneak Zane out of the window in the morning in order to avoid anymore fees. The old woman at the front desk was onto us, but she had no proof of our plan. We successfully only paid for two people but had to sleep three in one bed. If there is ever a time that people need matching pajamas, it was this night. We returned to the castle the next day but not without too many train rides and a failure to catch the last bus by 10 minutes. I tried to rally the team to hitch hike our way home, but to my dismay, we ended up paying out the ass for a taxi that drove twice the speed limit and chose to drive in the middle of the road even around blind turns. We managed to make it home safely and greet two new workaways. I absolutely loved our new workaways, they let me show them around the city and ventured with me on the bus. We got super lucky and found an amazing cherry tree while killing time for the bus, bought goat cheese at the local shop and held a newborn baby goat at the fromagerie. This was all before we found a Burgundy wine tasting that cost 5 euro to try too many wines to count. The next day we found yet another place to try more wine, dried our bucket of cherries and drank and ate our way through the days. I was sad to leave, but we made a pretty good run of the few days I was still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment